Monday, January 19, 2009

well water

Well it is my last day of "detox" and I feel pretty much the same as when I started, except for finding it easier to wake up in the morning. But this could be from my insistence on getting up w/ D at 6.30 instead of falling back asleep till 8 and feeling groggy and awful. I have discovered a few things tho...

1. More water is nice, but 8 glasses a day is ridiculous. I call myth on the 8 glasses of water a day push, thinking its source is most likely the bottled water industry. Aside from the impracticality of having to pee all the time, my lips are still chapped, my face is still the same, my hands are still dry... probably more from wintertime than dehydration. Of course water is nice, but I don't feel the need to push getting a certain prescribed amount.

2. Nettle tea is nice for the bowels. 'Nuff said.

3. Greens+ could be the source of my energy in the morning. I have it before bed and when I wake up. No doubt it does a body good and it might be something I keep up with after the week is up. There was also one night I woke up mid-sleep feeling pure elation and awesomeness.

4. Sugar free is good - I feel less manic and desperate in times of wanting a snack, and eating in general. Was reminded that 'ants on a log' (celery w/ peanutbutter and raisins on top) is much more delicious and satisfying than inhaling a couple of cookies. I did bake with honey twice, and on Saturday had (gasp!) maple syrup. These are sugars, but less refined than yr basic white. It's nice to know they can hold up in baking (applesauce is nice too) so I might use the alternatives more often!

5. No coffee is good - D and I have sort of been treating coffee as a weekend treat and I think I'll continue with that. It winds me up too much, making my mind race, and even sometimes causing a mild depression. Not worth it... tho maybe the odd time.

6. Had a couple headaches this week, and I don't get them that often usually. My back also went out (back spasm!) on Friday. Related? Not sure.

7. Gluten-free pancakes are delicious (brown rice flour). Gluten-free baking probably takes a little more work... made some crumbly muffins. Definitely do-able but I miss the fullness of wheat flour. That said, I will continue trying to eat less of it. Not really sure why - just seems like a fullness your body doesn't always need.

8. I forgot how much I like smoothies.

9. I miss a good glass of wine, but definitely appreciate having it on occasion rather than making it a part of most dinners. Easier on the pocketbook too.

Okay, I think that covers most of the bases. No biggie really, but nice to sort of 'reset' my eating habits and bring some more mindfulness to the idea of nourishing your body's organs and cells and so on.

Also

I forgot time to include my 5 nice things last time. Not this time tho:

1. whiskey snoring
2. a yard of acres and acres of beautiful trees, especially just after a snow fall
3. the smell of cedar kindling
4. when D gets home
5. dressing warm and playing in the snow

No comments: